29 May 2013

CEBU: BASILICA DE STO. NINO


05/16/2013

Whenever one goes to Cebu, most of the tourist destinations are churches. Why? I think its simply because Cebu is where Christianity first began here in the Philippines. I'm not going to be all out National Geographic mode here but here's a brief overview of Cebu's history and how it plays an important part in the spread of religion.

When Ferdinand Magellan arrived on the shores of Cebu in 1521, he was welcomed by Rajah Humabon and his Wife Lady Humamay, upon their pledge of allegiance to Spain, they converted to Catholicism and was offered a little statue of the Baby Jesus called the Sto. Niño upon their baptism. Today, the Sto. Niño statue is housed inside this beautiful church called The Basilica del Sto. Niño.

I never get tired of going to this church whenever we go to Cebu, every time I go inside, I feel like I'm in a different time. I'm so happy that the people taking care of the church decided to keep it the way it is! Anyway, I have done a post on this church before, so click here to find out what I wrote on in that post. :)

'til my next post!

xx

TUMBLR |◊| BLOGLOVIN |◊| TWITTER |◊|GOOGLE+

Sarah

2 comments :

  1. Wow that place is like heaven!

    Much love,

    www.zerxzastyle.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/zerxza

    ReplyDelete

I read all the comments :)