04 August 2013

EUROPE 2013: SAINT PAUL OUTSIDE THE WALL.

06/13/2013
Continuing our tour of Rome and the churches in the city, we visited the Basilica of St. Paul outside the wall. This is one of the 4 oldest churches in Rome with a Holy door. I can't give much explanation about this church because I mostly just gawked at the beauty of the structure and details of the place. Pretty much like the rest of my European travel diaries, so don't expect to learn a lot of information about the places I went to! :) #wastedonthistourist.

I hope you enjoy the photos though! :)
The faces in the sides of the wall are all the past Pope's of the Catholic church. In fact, the whole part of the church's ceiling was covered with the faces of the past popes, starting from the very first pope up to Pope Benedict. Pope Francis isn't included yet, I think because he either isn't dead yet or he hasn't retired but Pope Benedict is there already because he is already retired. Our tour guide told us a little inside joke (not really a joke, more of a belief) that if the church's ceiling was already filled the faces of Popes, it means that it would already be the end of the world. LOL. I sort of panicked a little cause I counted the remaining spots that were available for future pope's and there were only 7 spots left!
This is the altar of the church, underneath the altar is said to be the resting place of St. Paul.
This is one of the holy doors that is in Rome. See below for the explanation. :)
For the other holy door that I posted, click here.
Aren't they adorable??? :) little people interacting with other stranger's little people are just so cute!
My watermarks are so annoying! :(
Check out my other Europe travel diary posts:
 (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)

xx


TUMBLR |◊| BLOGLOVIN |◊| TWITTER |◊|GOOGLE+
Sarah

3 comments :

  1. Beautiful photos! Enjoy Rome,it's a fantastic city! :)
    xoxo
    http://elenasofiastocco.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos!

    Btw, I have an ongoing giveaway on my blog right now. WIN AWESOME ACCESSORIES FROM MISS LITRATISTA! It is open internationally and giveaway ends on August 31! Hope you'll join!

    Chamee of PIXELS AND TALES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check it ou! Thanks! :)

      xx
      Sarah

      Delete

I read all the comments :)