06 June 2014

KOTA KINABALU

MALAYSIA
05/17/2014
Last May, I went and crossed one of my life bucket list! I finally got to travel without any or both of my parents abroad! LOL! I know I'm 22 years old and this is the first time I've done it! I went to Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu with my friend Pao and her two friends Anne and Gia. I was a bit nervous cause I didn't know the other two with us but in the end, I enjoyed and had a great time with them. Another plus, I got to cross another thing on my bucket list: Meet new people while travelling.

Kota Kinabalu is the capital city of Sabah, Malaysia, usually mountaineers flock to this city for its famed Mt. Kinabalu. I had never really thought of what could be seen there before until my friend invited me to go with her, we didn't climb the mountain though! Anyway, here's some of what we did there.

We arrived in Kota Kinabalu around 1 am so we went to our lodge (we were travelling on a budget, meaning we were back packing) got some rest and when we woke up, we went around and toured the city. Initially our plan was to go to the beach that day but we were so tired that we decided to just do the city tour first and then the beach.
MALAYSIA
From my trip, I think the city was pretty small, there aren't really a lot of places you can see there which I guess is why Sabah's main tourist destinations are their natural parks. the first place we went into the city was their national museum. we didn't really go in cause we had a lot of other places to visit so we only took photos outside. lol
MALAYSIA
MALAYSIA
MALAYSIA
As I've said before, Sabah is known for their natural resources. Even in the city they have clean public beaches! How I wish we had these in Manila! 
MALAYSIA
We also visited a few temples in the city, this one is the Sabah State Temple. We weren't allowed to go in cause there was a mass (I'm not really sure what muslims call them) but we were allowed to take a few photos outside. :)
MALAYSIA
MALAYSIA
After the temple, we also visited the Tun Mustapha Tower, it is the tallest tower in Sabah and the second tallest tower in Borneo. This used to be known as the Sabah Foundation Building. There is a restaurant on the 18th floor that slowly spins to provide its clients with a complete view of Likas Harbour.
MALAYSIA
We also visited another temple called the floating temple. I think its pretty self-explanatory. The temple is surrounded by water. The surrounding water wasn't very clean though but the temple was a very pretty sight to look at.
MALAYSIA
Near the floating temple, there were a variety of street food vendors. I was really excited to try out this drink called ABC, its their version of the filipino halo-halo except this one is in a drinkable format whilst the halo-halo is a dessert on its own. It is made out of milk, syrup, jelly, muscovado and some red beans on shaved ice.
MALAYSIA
They also sell some chicken wings and a variety of street foods I don't really remember taking a photo off (sorry!)
image
Market
Market
After visiting the temples, we went to the market in waterfront esplanade. There you can eat freshly cooked seafood, noodles and other native delicacies just like any of the locals. There is also a filipino market there where they sell a lot of filipino goods, but I didn't get to go there because I was so tired by the time we got to the market that I ended up sitting at a starbucks nearby and cooling myself down with a free Starbucks drink (thank you surprise-survey-in-the-receipt-of-my-friend)! LOL!

I'll try to update this post more if I find more photos but I'm going to have to end this post here! Stay tuned for my next one! :)

I really enjoyed my trip to Kota Kinabalu! It was very cheap too! I'll probably talk more about how I traveled on a budget on some other post! Let me know in the comments if this is something you guys are interested in, yeah? :)


xx
Sarah


Find me on: BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR | TWITTER | LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | GOOGLE+ | POSE

No comments :

Post a Comment

I read all the comments :)