05 August 2014

THE NATIONAL MUSEUM: THE NATIONAL ART GALLERY

national_museum_034
Spoliarium by Juan Luna

The National Museum has two buildings, the first one, exhibited priceless historical and cultural artifacts while the second building housed several of the country's most prized paintings and art work. There were a lot of sculptures and drawings too, but I was mostly drawn to the beauty of these paintings.

The Spoliarium is a painting by Filipino artist, Juan Luna which he submitted to the Exposición Nacional de Bellas Artes in 1884 in Madrid, Spain where he won three gold medals for it. Today, it can be found in the National Museum of the Philippines where it can be located at the first floor in the Hall of the Masters
national_museum_035
La Tragedia de Gobernador Bustamante(The Assasination of Governor Bustamante) by Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo

Another painting that can be found in the Hall of Masters is Felix Resurreccion Hidalgo's La Tragedia de Gobernador Bustamante which also won a silver medal at the Exposición Nacional de Bellas Artes in 1884 in Madrid, Spain alongside Juan Luna. 
national_museum_036
Artsy... #afterlight #vscocam #painting #nationalmuseum
Paintings from Gallery IX and X

There are some Galleries that showcase several paintings from different artists. The ones above are from Gallery IX which contain paintings from Filipino Modernist artists (above) and paintings about the progress of medicine in the Philippines by Filipino artist Carlos V. Francisco.

national_museum_037
Parisian Life by Juan Luna

Another one of Juan Luna's famous art work is the Parisian Life or Interior d'un Cafe. Known art critics have said that the lady in the painting is symbolic of the Philippine map, with the way she is positioned. I'm no expert in things like that but if you look at the Philippine map and the positioning of the woman in the painting, I can sort of see the resemblance, or maybe that's just because I've read about the positioning somewhere! haha!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my small museum tour! And I hope I got my facts correctly!

Check out my first Museum post here!
xx
Sarah



Find me on: BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR | TWITTER | LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | GOOGLE+ | POSE

No comments :

Post a Comment

I read all the comments :)