01 April 2015

PHOTO DIARY: SINGAPORE CHINATOWN

singapore_china_town_01
02/05/2015

Our first stop during our city tour was Singapore's Chinatown. I have never been to this part of Singapore the last time I went there mostly because it was so far from where we were staying and we mostly just stayed in Orchard road-Singapore's shopping district- and to Universal Studios and we also went to Singapore zoo. This time though, we went to a few different places.

singapore_china_town_02
singapore_china_town_03
singapore_china_town_05

The first thing we did when we arrived in Chinatown was to eat! We wanted to try the local places where Singaporeans go to eat so we went to this food court where they mostly sold Hainanese Chicken and other local dishes-I loved it!- the place isn't air conditioned so it was quite hot and humid due to the stalls cooking food and the day's natural heat it may have freaked me out a bit as I tend be OC with a place's sanitation but I noticed that all the stalls have a government grade on the quality and cleanliness of the food and the stalls (see the B on the top right corner of the photo above?) so it sort of convinced me that its a pretty safe place to try and eat and it is a definite must try! I wish I had a photo of what the actual place looked like but I couldn't get a good photo of the place and by the time we arrived, the place was already stocked with people!

To be honest, this is probably one of my most favorite things to do when traveling, eating at food haunts that locals love to go to simply because I firmly believe that one of the best way to immerse yourself in a country's culture is to go to places and do things that the locals would go to and do. Also because tourist spots tend to raise prices of food and other items way too much!

singapore_china_town_06.5
After lunch, we started to walk around Chinatown where mostly all the streets were packed because of the upcoming Chinese New Year. There were a lot of really cool items that were for sale, a lot of them were items that were to be used for CNY such as ang pao (red envelopes) and other red colored items that were said to bring fortune and good luck for the incoming year.

singapore_china_town_07
singapore_china_town_08
singapore_china_town_09
Aren't these name paintings cute? I wanted to have mine done but we were still going on a cruise and it would have been burdensome for me to lug it all around with me.
singapore_china_town_10
singapore_china_town_11
Lots and lots of Ang Pao! I may not be Chinese but since the Philippines is predominantly influenced by Spanish, Chinese and American culture, we do celebrate Chinese New Year and I would often receive a few (okay, a lot) of these envelopes every Christmas and New Year too! I love when I get these more than presents cause it means there's cash inside! lol!

Here's a little trivia I learned from our driver/tour guide: The Chinese signs on the Ang Paos are apparently Chinese last names! I know I sound so dumb but I really never thought of those signs as anything other than designs... Sorry for being so ignorant! :(
singapore_china_town_12
singapore_china_town_13
singapore_china_town_14
singapore_china_town_15
singapore_china_town_16
singapore_china_town_17
singapore_china_town_18
These Jello's were sooooo good! I wanted to go back and buy some but by the time we finished walking around, we were already too far from them and it was too hot already so we just went to a chinese temple. :(
singapore_china_town_19
singapore_china_town_20

Well, This is it for Chinatown! I am definitely going back here, if only for the Jello and the doughnut looking food, oh and the nuts!

Check out my previous post here.

xx
Sarah



Find me on: BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR | TWITTER | LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | GOOGLE+ | POSE

3 comments :

  1. nice travel photos!!! :D thanks for sharing!!!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! I love all the colors and yummy eats.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete

I read all the comments :)