09 May 2015

TRAVEL DIARY: MALAYSIA, BATU CAVE

malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_04
malaysia_langkawi_travel_01

02/07/2015

After boarding our cruise ship, The Mariner of the Seas by The Royal Caribbean in Singapore, our first destination was Malaysia. We docked at Port Klang, which is one of the biggest and main port in Malaysia and is also nearest to the city capital, Kuala Lumpur. From the port, it took us about two hours or so by bus to get to the city, Our first destination was the Batu Caves.  

The Batu Caves is a limestone hill that was made popular when it was discovered by american naturalist, William Hornaday. Nowadays, The Batu Caves is famously known for being a religious site for hinduism as it is one of the popular shrines for the religion outside of India. The shrine is said to be dedicated to the hindu god Murungan.

We were lucky enough to be able to visit the caves when a hindu religious festival known as the Thaipusam had just passed so it was not so crowded but there were still a lot of pilgrims that visited the shrines and the caves so were were able to experience a little bit of the festival while there.

malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_01
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_03
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_05

malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_06
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_07
To reach the caves, we had to climb all those stairs! I think it was a total of 272 steps (said the tourist, I lost count after 10. LOL) we also had to watch out for the monkeys that lived in the mountain as they usually hang out near the stairs, waiting for people to give them food (or steal take the food from the humans) and look at that giant gold God! If I am not mistaken, this is the Hindu God Murugan.
Finally! After 4 days! I got some free wifi again!!!!! Photo taken at the batu cave in kuala lumpur, malaysia.. #VSCOcam #travel #wanderlust #malaysia #batucave #kualalumpur #asia #hindutemple
I just had to take this snap shot for my instagram! I think I was only mid way to the top. I was breathing heavily and my legs were kind of tired and I was sweating so much but that is a pretty gorgeous view, me thinks.
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_08
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_09
Some of the pilgrims walked and climbed the stairs all the way to the top and back bare foot. This was a rather hot and humid day filled with pilgrims and tourists alike so can you believe the dedication people give to something they believe in? I'm not just talking about this religion or festival but for everyone who ever believed in something, be it religion or political or moral or otherwise. I'm ranting now, aren't I? Anyway.... 

malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_14
When we finally reached the top of the stairs and the entrance to the caves, we were greeted by a bunch of statues and small shrines.
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_10
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_11
malaysia_langkawi_batu_cave_travel_13
Moving past the base of the caves, we were greeted by another staircase-but not as long as the one going up the hill- when we climbed it, we saw the main temple for Murugan. It was bigger and a lot of people were praying and were in the middle of a worship so I didn't want to take a lot of photos there to keep their worship sacred and intimate as it should be.

Well, that's about it for my Batu Caves experience, can't wait to share more of my travel posts with you! check out the others here.

xx
Sarah

Find me on: BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR | TWITTER | LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | GOOGLE+ | POSE

2 comments :

  1. Wow, it looks awesome, it's definitely on my list of places to visit as soon as I can! I didn't expect there'd be enough time on a cruise to go to KL from the port, I think I considered this same route myself too! Your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing.

    { sparklesideup.com }

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my photos! The trip to KL from the port did take quite a while but the cruiseship was the one that planned it all so we had about the whole day for touring and we got back on the ship around 5pm? Just in time for dinner I think! :)

      Delete

I read all the comments :)