06 July 2015

THE PREGNANT MAIDEN

malaysia_langkawi_beach_travel_04

malaysia_langkawi_beach_travel_05
02/08/2015

On our first morning in LangKaWi, Malaysia, we boarded our first excursion out of the cruise ship. Our first stop was visiting the Pregnant Maiden Lake (Can you see the outline of the mountain on the first photo? It looks like a Pregnant maiden lying down.). To get to the lake, we had to ride a boat (that got us soaking wet, and our things too, Every. Single. Time we rode it) then hike a little bit going to the lake. 

It was a short hike, or maybe the right word was trek? I'm not exactly sure of the difference but anyway, aside from the monkeys roaming freely (which terrified me as one tried to take my camera and successfully take my sunscreen away from me!) the sights around me were so pretty! Trees everywhere, cool fresh air and then when we reached our destination, it was just so breath taking!

malaysia_langkawi_beach_travel_06
malaysia_langkawi_beach_travel_07
malaysia_langkawi_pregnant_maiden_lake_04
The story of how The Pregnant Maiden Lake got its name often reminds me of a local folklore from my own country called Maria Makiling, the story of our own Mt. Makiling. But I'm not writing a post about Mt. Makiling so I won't tell you that story. But here is what is written on the photo above:

"According to local legend it began when a male elf named Mat Teja fell in love at first sight with Dayang, a female elf. Mat Teja won her heart by rubbing a mermaid's tear drop on his face. 

Their romantic and intimate relationship became complete with Dayang's pregnancy. Dayang then decided to retire at Tasik Dayang Beranak (Maiden Giving Birth Lake). 

Nine months later, Dayang gave birth to a child but unfortunately, the child died after seven days.

Saddened by the event, Dayang decided to bury the baby in the lake.

After the accident, the lake was known as Tasik Dayang Bunting (Pregnant Maiden Lake) as a way for the locals to pay their condolence to the couple."

Isn't it such a sad story? It's beautiful but its so sad.


malaysia_langkawi_pregnant_maiden_lake_01
malaysia_langkawi_pregnant_maiden_lake_02
malaysia_langkawi_pregnant_maiden_lake_03


Its such a beautiful place! I loved taking photos of this place. It just looks so.... Magical.

xx
Sarah


Find me on: BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM | TUMBLR | TWITTER | LOOKBOOK | CHICTOPIA | GOOGLE+ | POSE

3 comments :

  1. Hi dear and thank you very much for your friendship on IFB. I’m very happy!!!
    So beautiful place. From your photos this lake seems amazing!!! Have a nice day, kisses,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Eniwhere Fashion Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so beautiful
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

I read all the comments :)